Monday, April 14, 2008

Unit Testing (Part 1)

I've heard about unit testing before I started here at KPMG, but had zero experience with it.  My software developer friends have experience with unit testing because most of them are part of huge development teams and deal with mission critical software.  I understood the concept, but really didn't understand its value... until I added unit testing to my current project.

I'll be honest, I don't find writing unit tests fun.  I'd much rather be developing new stuff or even fixing bugs, but I found numerous bugs that I wouldn't have found without unit tests. Users would most likely have found these bugs while using the application which would require tracking the issue, fixing the problem, testing the solution, and finally releasing a new version.  This is a lot of time (and money) wasted.

No comments: